Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Cool Dads

Fun visit today with a four-year-old girl and her four-month-old brother. Eight shots. Fun.

The dad has the same dry sense of humor I do, so I was lucky to have gotten in the last word not just once, but twice.

Going through the "tell me what he's doing" part (aka developmental history) for the four-month-old, the mom recites the usual; holds up his head, sits with help, bears weight on legs, laughs, vocalizes, grasps toys; all normal. Then dad chimes in, "And he likes to read trashy romance novels."

Me: "Cool. Does he have any favorite authors?"

Dad: "Uh..."

Me: 1 Dad: 0

Both visits went fine. Both kids are doing great. They even tolerated the shots -- better than mom, at any rate. The four-year-old girl didn't really cry; she just made this unhappy creaking kind of noise, so as they were getting ready to leave I mentioned to the dad:

Me: "You know how she was creaking just now? If you have any DW-40, that would help a lot.

Dad: "All I have is lithium grease."

Me: "Great. That will help stabilize her moods too."

Me: 2 Dad: 0

(I swear these two exchanges actually happened. I even got the dad's permission to blog it.)

4 Comments:

At Sat May 05, 12:24:00 PM, Blogger MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

Wow. With a dry cool wit like that you could be a superhero!

 
At Sat May 05, 03:12:00 PM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

Hah, you were definitely on, Dino! It's cool to see a doc give as good as they get.

 
At Sun May 06, 06:51:00 PM, Blogger Sid Schwab said...

I have a mood swing in my back yard, hanging from a tree.

 
At Mon May 07, 05:09:00 PM, Blogger XE said...

Eight pokes. Youch. I would be a horrible pediatrician because I can't make children cry, even if it is to protect them from disease.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home