Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Movie Review: "The Happening" (Safe; No Spoilers)

Darling Spouse and I saw the new M. Night Shyamalan movie "The Happening" for one reason only: last fall I was mightily inconvenienced for three days while the road in front of my office was shut down for its filming. Such excitement! Mark Wahlberg was there, though I confess I never saw him. The little diner up the street was used for an extended scene, as was the road. All we wanted to see was those familiar sights up on the big screen.

In that respect we weren't disappointed. It was very odd; I for one found it impossible to believe they were actually out in the middle of Nowheresville, PA when the scene was so familiar. But we squirmed and pointed and sat up with excitement during that scene.

Other than that, the whole thing was a total bust. The premise was stupid. The characters weren't even substantial enough to call them cardboard -- more like tissue paper. The "romance" wasn't believable. I couldn't even figure out how to take Mark Wahlberg, and that's not a problem I've ever had before. There was no twist at the end (or even in the middle or beginning.) I don't particularly enjoy being scared, which is why I don't accompany the kids to their horror flicks and why I didn't enjoy this one either (after the familiar locations had come and gone.) I don't even think the kids would like it; it's that stupid.

8 Comments:

At Sat Jun 14, 10:53:00 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

I saw that piece of crap "The Village" for the same reason.

I'll probably see "The Happening" on DVD, because it's cool to see places you actually KNOW on the big screen. It's why I'll see "Marley and me" when it comes out -- I'm always in West Chester, and seeing it in a movie will be cool.

 
At Sat Jun 14, 11:33:00 AM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

I couldn't even figure out how to take Mark Wahlberg
Horizontally is the preferred method.

 
At Sat Jun 14, 02:12:00 PM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

Preferred? Conventional, perhaps....but bland!

 
At Sat Jun 14, 10:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh Lynn:
Little bit of a Mrs Robinson wannabe?

 
At Sun Jun 15, 07:02:00 AM, Blogger Evil Transport Lady said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'll wait for the dvd.

 
At Sun Jun 15, 09:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad the movie sucked.

"The Lovely Bones" next year might be a better bet -- more PA locations AND more Wahlberg! :-)

 
At Mon Jun 16, 10:51:00 AM, Blogger Bookhorde said...

Was that what they were filming? I thought it was The Lovely Bones -- I hear a local kid (from my kids' school) will be in that one.

 
At Mon Jun 16, 11:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

donnathedead said: I agree totally, it sucked, and I didn't even get to say I knew where it was filmed.
Although they showed a scene with kudzu, and the people next to me said something about look the plants are mutating now too.
I had to laugh, we live in a desert wasteland. (NM)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home