Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

It's All Terry's Fault

Blame Terry.

Darling Spouse had to go overseas on business about two months ago, and it was a long, difficult two weeks. I felt like all I ever did was walk (roll) the dog, take care of the cats' I/O, and work. Not much sleep (since the dog needed to be rolled twice a day), and not much in the way of cooking or eating either. Just keeping the house and office going singlehandedly. I've done it before (albeit with only a single cat and no dog), but it's so much nicer not to have to. It was a rough two weeks.

Then they told him that he had to go again! Same deal: a week in the UK and a week in Sweden, in early December this time. Bummer!

So I tell all this to my friend Terry, who lives around the corner from my office and comes in once a week for allergy shots. And Terry begins to berate me: "You have to go with him this time!"

I roll my eyes and invoke my reality. I can't go with him. I'm self-employed; no work, no eat. I have the dog, and the cats, and the house. Besides, he'll be working. What would I do all day for two weeks?

"Those are nothing but excuses! You have to go!" continues Terry.

I smile.

Then I go home, and I tell DS about seeing Terry, how Terry yelled at me, and so on. We agree that I can't get away for two whole weeks, but we begin to hem and haw a bit; see what we can work out. He sits down at the computer and researches (really cheap) flights; he realizes he can shift his hotel arrangements around a bit, and voila!

The dog is being boarded; the cats and house are being sat; coverage is arranged; later this afternoon, I am outta here. I've got my camera, and this adorable little netbook for surfing, blogging and the like. It even has a port for the card from my camera, for convenient picture posting.

I'm going to Stockholm for the weekend.

And it's all Terry's fault.

Thank you, Terry.

7 Comments:

At Thu Dec 10, 07:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great trip, Dr. Dino, and it's good that you're so well organized that you can squeeze it all in. And congrats to Terry for shoving the good doc in the right direction.

 
At Thu Dec 10, 08:12:00 AM, Anonymous The Needle-phobe said...

What's a "cay"? As in "the dog had to be rolled (that part I actually understand) twice a cay."

Sorry I couldn't resist being a wisea** on your dime. Spell-checker users beware!

 
At Thu Dec 10, 11:08:00 AM, Blogger kg said...

That is wonderful! Have a very good time!

 
At Thu Dec 10, 12:00:00 PM, Anonymous ndenunz said...

Good for you.
But, you're too late to see President Obama be awarded the Peace Prize. It happened earlier today. Maybe you could hitch a ride home on Air Force 1. Save some bucks.

 
At Thu Dec 10, 12:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will have a fabulous time. I'm glad you got your tushie kicked. Life's too short to miss the really cool stuff. Totally jealous, btw.

 
At Thu Dec 10, 01:05:00 PM, Anonymous MGoldRN said...

Have a great trip!

 
At Thu Dec 10, 01:17:00 PM, Blogger Rach said...

I love last minute things like that!
Make sure you dress warmly! It's cooooooooooooooold there this time of year

 

Post a Comment

<< Home