Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Monday, September 18, 2006

I've Been Tagged

Thanks, MedStudentGod (feel the sarcasm.)

I've been tagged, but at least it's about books; a subject closer to my heart than I can reveal without jeopardizing my surprisingly easily assumed disguise.

1. One book that changed your life:
The Jewish Catalogue (now known as the "first" Jewish Catalogue, or the red one, as there have since been two sequels.) It was given to me as a confirmation gift when I was about 16, and I devoured it. To me, it read like a do-it-yourself guide to a much more observant version of Judaism than I had been raised with, and it resulted in my deciding to live the rest of my life much more Jewishly.

2. One book you have read more than once:
Too many to count. I have a habit of reading books over and over and over; I call it "over-reading" them. Granted it was worse when I was younger, with more time and less access to new books. But a partial list of books I "read 'til they shred" would include: To Kill a Mockingbird; I Never Promised You a Rose Garden; The Other.

3. One book you would want on a desert island:
The bible. Maybe I'd finally get the chance to actually read it cover-to-cover.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Eats Shoots and Leaves. How on earth can punctuation be funny? Read it and see, but not in bed at night. You'll wake your bed partner laughing out loud.

5. One book that made you cry:
Marley and Me. No animal person can read the last few chapters of this without Kleenex handy.

6. One book you wish had been written:
The bestseller I'm working on.
No; wait; I don't wish someone else had already written it. I mean I want to write a book that others will wish had been written.
Aw, hell; you know what I mean. (I hope.)

7. One book you wish had never been written:

Protocols of the Elders of Zion. There would probably still have been the same amount of evil done in the world without it, but it might have been a little more difficult.

8. One book you are currently reading:
The Dante Club; a historical about a serial murderer in 19th century Boston whose crimes are modelled on The Inferno.

9. One book you have been meaning to read:
The Kite Runner. Not sure why; I've been told I "should", and it's sitting on my dresser.

As for passing it on, I politely decline, but if Flea, DP, and Sid think they might enjoy it, they can be my guest.

6 Comments:

At Mon Sep 18, 10:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting answers. I love reading, don't do it enough. I'll have to think it over.

I'm Jewish, too, but quite non-observant at this point. In fact, the instance of the greatest religious prejudice (if that's a proper usage of the term) was during medical school, when I was dating a fellow student, also Jewish, from an intensely religious family. I went to her home for Pesach; the Seder was repeated two days running, done all in Hebrew, and it was as if I were on another planet. They clearly and overtly resented me for my lack of familiarity with the faith, and all but threw me out of their house. And I, of course, felt guilty as hell: as if I'd dropped a baton passed to me under great pain and sacrifice.

PS: because of your comment on my blog, I think I'll add in my email contact. Can't see a reason not to, really. Thanks.

 
At Mon Sep 18, 09:16:00 PM, Blogger Big Lebowski Store said...

Sad coda to the Jewish catalogue story. I was priveleged to know the Strassfelds personally. They recently divorced, splitting a family of three children.

Regarding "Shoots and Leaves": The Terminator read this one at a friend's house and howled so loudly with laughter that it hurt my ears.

best,

Flea

 
At Mon Sep 18, 09:32:00 PM, Blogger Big Lebowski Store said...

BTW, Tag! You're it (again)!

Flea

 
At Tue Sep 19, 01:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your answers! And I can see that Dr. Flea tagged you with the Meme I tagged him with! :o)

Looking forward to getting at gander at what you reply!

 
At Tue Sep 19, 02:35:00 AM, Blogger Melissa Ann said...

"The Kite Runner" really is an amazing book. Probably the best book I read all summer, between it and "Bee Season" by Myra Goldberg.

 
At Wed Sep 20, 09:58:00 AM, Blogger D.P. said...

Okay, I FINALLY got my answers posted! ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home