Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

You'd Think it would be Obvious

Scene: Very nervous young woman about to have her first GYN exam.

I talked her all the way through it before she ever disrobed; I was at my most soothing and reassuring. Here's how I finished up my spiel:

Me: And whatever happens, remember to keep breathing.
Her: What happens if I don't?
Me: You'll die.

Of course I began cracking up as I said it, as did she. Tension broken. Laughed for weeks.

3 Comments:

At Mon Jan 29, 07:19:00 PM, Blogger apgaRN said...

Heh heh, that's a good one.

I think I'll have to use that one on my patients, who like to remind me that the deep breathing I encourage them to use isn't really taking away very much of the labor pain.

Yeah, no kidding, but if you don't keep breathing...

Thanks!
N

 
At Sun Feb 04, 01:41:00 PM, Blogger RedSpiral said...

Humor can go a long way in that situation! This is a little gem, I'm going to use it when I am supporting moms in labor!

 
At Sun Feb 25, 11:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had one girl whose partner was translating on the other side of the curtain.

He did okay during "Everything on the outside looks just fine ..."

When he translated me saying "Your cervix looks just fine" ... she and I locked eyes and she laughed so hard the spec came out.

Partner didn't run away.

That guy's a keeper.

ncc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home