Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Bellies

I saw a family for a physical.

The father went first. He weighed over 350 pounds (email me if you want to know my trick for weighing him on my scale anyway) and so we discussed exercise and diet and so forth.

The 9-month-old was next. We did the weigh and measure thing, then went back into the exam room for the physical. As I often do, most of the exam was performed with the baby sitting on the dad's lap.

As I went to palpate the baby's abdomen, the dad cooed, "Where's that big belly?"

I looked at him and said, "No, it's the baby's turn now."

6 Comments:

At Mon Jul 16, 06:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the obese!
Fatties are a doctor's bread and butter. Oui?

 
At Mon Jul 16, 06:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what his reaction?

 
At Mon Jul 16, 09:21:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Smak said...

C'mon...
I'm dying to know your >350 lb weight trick!

 
At Tue Jul 17, 03:09:00 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee. I can'y stop laughing at this one. Likewise want to know the trick with the weight.

 
At Tue Jul 17, 02:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First 4 patients I saw on a recent
saturday at the urgent care clinic, 290,295,305, and 310 lbs..all women, all upper middle class with good insurance, all with URIs[colds actually]. One asked me about Orlistat,I opined it might help along with diet and exercise,pt didn't want any part of oily stools though.

 
At Tue Jul 17, 02:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect the trick is to have two scales side by side. Have the patient stand one foot on each and add up the respective readings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home