Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

You'll Never Think of a Comb-Over the Same Way Again

(Blogged with permission)

I saw a woman today who'd had a mastectomy last week for multi-focal breast carcinoma. She's doing fantastically well! She was home from the hospital in two days and was out walking around the block two days after that. I saw her today for some blood work before she starts chemo. Her incision looks great and she's feeling wonderful. She seems to understand what she's up against and has a solid support system among her family, friends and church.

One thing she shared with us was just hilarious. She said it cracked up the nurses in the hospital too:

She didn't yet have a temporary prosthesis, so she was stuffing her bra with kleenex. But here's what she said she ought to do:
This other breast is so big and droopy, I should just pull it across to the other side; sort of like a comb-over.

9 Comments:

At Wed Apr 23, 09:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandmother, who was never very well endowed, didn't like any of the prostheses available. She wore 2 handkerchiefs pinned on that side of her teddy (back then, these were pretty utilitarian underwear) for the rest of her life. And it looked pretty good, actually.

 
At Wed Apr 23, 11:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She sounds like a friend of mine. When my fried lost her hair ala chemo, she got temporary tattoos and applied "eyes" to the back of her head. Ha! Take that you teenage daughters!

Wishing your patient continued power on her journey -

 
At Thu Apr 24, 05:27:00 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

I shall keep that solution in mind in case of future need (mine are ratherlarge and droopy now)

 
At Thu Apr 24, 05:33:00 AM, Blogger Evil Transport Lady said...

You Go Girl! Hope she makes a fast recovery..meaning become cancer free:)

 
At Thu Apr 24, 11:22:00 AM, Blogger rlbates said...

Love this post! I tell my patients who have a "deflated normal saline implant" to use an old shoulder pad as filler until we can get to surgery.

 
At Thu Apr 24, 12:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard people complain about bras with no separation that give them a uniboob...maybe that's the style this nice lady needs, bless her heart.

 
At Thu Apr 24, 07:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A plastic surgery group in Australia reported the microvascular transplant of a portion of one very large breast to reconstruct the other after mastectomy. Kinda funny.

I had a patient who didn't want Nipple/Areolar tattooing after her bilateral breast recon. She instead went to a tattoo artist and had her scars (that looked quite nice) camoflaged with tattoos of flowering vines. They're great!

 
At Mon Apr 28, 02:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gallbladder surgeon told me about how he saw the most spectacular breast on a 70-something woman - reconstructed by his mentor. At 40-something, I almost asked for the mentor's info!

If only bra's were made for 'real women'. Going up a few sizes just results in having more material all over my body... kinda like 'granny panties'. I don't mind body armor - just keep it around he parts that need to be 'armoried".
Thank you very much.

 
At Tue Apr 29, 01:14:00 PM, Blogger Hane2SO4 said...

A boobover! I love it. What a great character.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home