Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Deserving

I was having a conversation with a patient the other day, chit-chatting after the visit. She asked how my writing was going and I shared a (potentially) very exciting development with her. She expressed her joy and congratulations, and then said,
"You deserve it!"
I smiled and thanked her, but grimaced a little inside. People have said that to me a lot, and I've learned to be polite at what is essentially an expression of good wishes; but in my heart of hearts I remain acutely aware of how much in my life is nothing more than good fortune; being in the right place at the right time; in other words, blind luck.

The writing development certainly fits in that category, as was being born into an affluent, intelligent family. The issue of "deserving" something comes under the rubric of Karma; or you get what's coming to you. The problem is that way too many times in my life I've seen things that defy the concept of cosmic justice. During my dating days I met lots of wonderful people who "deserved" to find someone equally wonderful, but never did. All kinds of dreadful crap gets published while fantastic authors remain undiscovered. The more you look around, just being "deserving" doesn't seem to count for much.

As I said, I've been lucky in my life. Sure, I've worked hard to make the most of the advantages I've been lucky enough to enjoy, but I still can't discount the role of pure, blind, deaf, dumb luck.

Why post on this topic today? Because a little more than seven years ago, I happened to be in just the right place at just the right time for what turned out to be the most amazing, wonderful lucky moment I could ever imagine. And today, I celebrate six of the best years of my life. Thank you so much, for everything, my Darling Spouse. Happy Anniversary. I love you.

11 Comments:

At Mon May 05, 07:45:00 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

Happy anniversary!

 
At Mon May 05, 08:13:00 AM, Blogger rlbates said...

Happy Anniversary!

 
At Mon May 05, 08:50:00 AM, Blogger Angry Professor said...

Me, too.

 
At Mon May 05, 09:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, and thank you for the thoughtful post. So many fortunate people in our society never stop to realize that not everyone has been given the opportunities they had.

 
At Mon May 05, 10:10:00 AM, Blogger mark's tails said...

My wife is fond of saying 'everything happens for a reason'. Doesn't explain everything to me. Still, Dino, if you ever can fully explain the meaning of life, please share with us. Although sounds as though you are off to a good start.

Happy Anniversary!

 
At Mon May 05, 12:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a firm believer in dumb luck, but I also subscribe to the words of Thomas Edison - "I am a strong believer in luck and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." I've lurked around this blog for a while now and find it hard to believe that you have the successes in your practice and in your writing to think that you have certainly "deserve" it.

 
At Mon May 05, 08:30:00 PM, Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

I must agree with anonymous - of course, a lot of life is chance, but it is what we do at those chance moments that gives us te life we have. Clearly, you seized the moment.

Happy anniversary!

 
At Tue May 06, 01:40:00 PM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

Hey, Dino, you and I share the same anniversary. What a hoot. It's been 29 years for us. Congrats, and may you have many wonderful years together.

 
At Tue May 06, 05:12:00 PM, Blogger Bookhorde said...

Belated Happy Anniversary!!!!

And maybe you don't deserve it, but it's lovely when nice things happen to nice people. :)

 
At Tue May 06, 10:25:00 PM, Blogger jmb said...

Happy Anniversary Dino. Better late than never.

 
At Thu May 08, 09:54:00 AM, Blogger Detail Muse said...

Congratulations on your anniversary and on your potentially very exciting writing development!

I've thought of you since I came across the excellent Bellevue Literary Review, have you heard of it? Not only terrific reading but an excellent place to consider sending your writing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home