Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm Waiting

I'm absolutely certain that someday -- probably soon -- I will have the following exchange with a patient:

Me: What can I do for you today, Mr. 400lb Man?

400lb patient: Well, Doc, I heard on TV that if you write down everything you eat, you'll lose weight. So I've been writing down every last thing I've eaten for the last month, and I haven't lost any weight at all!

Me: (perusing diet diary) Um, when you add all this up, you're eating like 6000 calories a day.

400lb P: So?

Me: The idea is that by being more aware of what you eat by writing it down, you can reduce your food intake. That's how you lose weight.

400lb P: Charlie Gibson didn't say anything about eating less. He just said if you write it down, you'll lose weight.

Me: The only way that can happen is if you eat less.

400lb P: But I wrote it all down. That's all they said you had to do. Damn media! Getting my hopes like that for nothing!

6 Comments:

At Thu Jul 24, 10:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you can guarantee that will happen.

 
At Fri Jul 25, 08:32:00 AM, Blogger Dustin said...

I suppose if you wrote it down in chalk, in six foot letters, on an abandoned airport runway, while jogging, you could lose weight without eating less.

 
At Fri Jul 25, 08:49:00 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

You mean writing/typing doesn't burn a million calories per key strike?

God damn it.

 
At Fri Jul 25, 05:36:00 PM, Blogger Mz.Elle said...

You mean that doesn't work??
Hee,I'm joking!

 
At Sun Jul 27, 05:43:00 PM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

I feel so betrayed. I may have to go sue someone.

 
At Mon Jul 28, 12:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO busted. While I'm not even close to the 400 lb. mark, I've been a regular food diarist whose managed to GAIN weight. Guess I have to read, reflect and OMG, change! :-) Thanks for the wake up call! Great post...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home