Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Breaking a Rule

I have previously expounded on what I've called Dinosaur's Blogging Rules, and about a month after that I also posted My Personal Blogging Rules. In case you don't feel like reading both of those previous posts for the detailed discussions, here are the actual rules:

Dino's Blogging Rules:
  1. Write well.
  2. Say something.
  3. Mix it up.
My Personal Blogging Rules:
  1. No commercials.
  2. Comment rarely.
  3. Blogging about blogging is boring.
  4. It's more about the writing than the readers.
Why am I rehashing this now? Because I'm about to break one of the above rules.

Why?

Why not.

It's Personal Rule #3: I really do think that blogging about blogging is just boring. So far, I think I've done a pretty decent job of refraining from posts like:
Going on vacation. Blogging will be light for a while.
I've just gone and come. I realize some readers probably care about me as a person (amusing, given my persona as a large, extinct reptile) and may become concerned about a prolonged lack of posting. But I would also hope they would get a life, even as they assume that I am doing the same. But now I find myself wanting to explain why blogging may be a little lighter than usual for the next few weeks or months, even though it means breaking one of my own rules.

It's because I've gotten involved in several *paying* writing projects of late, both on the internet and in the Real World(tm). My self-imposed goal is 1000 words per day at least until October, which should put me in good shape to meet contractual deadlines. Although I'm not (yet) at liberty to say more, suffice it to say that there is an extremely exciting announcement in the works.

And oh yeah: Yesterday was my second Blogiversary. Two years of Dino Blogging has been great fun. Who knows what the next two may bring?

8 Comments:

At Tue Aug 26, 09:23:00 PM, Blogger rlbates said...

Congrats on all fronts. Looking forward to hearing more of the writing news

 
At Tue Aug 26, 10:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear the news. :)

 
At Tue Aug 26, 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, Dino.

YMMV, but if your paid material overlaps with your blog material, you might find the former less rewarding than the latter.

That's what happened to me, anyway, which was why I quit doing paid writing.

Good luck regardless.

 
At Wed Aug 27, 03:20:00 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

Congrats from a sweet little old lady (NOT) across the pond in Scotland. Look forward to hearing more.

 
At Wed Aug 27, 08:35:00 AM, Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Congrats! Excited for you and jealous - getting PAID to write! (And more, I assume than the usual free copy of the textbook kind of pay...)

Have fun!

 
At Fri Aug 29, 03:39:00 AM, Blogger jmb said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. Sounds very interesting.

I've always been a great believer in Dino's blogging rules, 1, 2 and 3. My personal blogging rules are a bit different however.
We forgive your terrible crime.

 
At Sun Aug 31, 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

rjs, Dino would be a bloated codfish to give up the paying gig since it's a very good one. Can't wait for you to come clean, Dino. Should be, ah, illuminating!

 
At Tue Sep 02, 03:59:00 PM, Blogger Jared At The Doctor Job said...

Personally, I love to read "blogging about blogging" so this post was heaven for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home