Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

My Mother

Things my mother loved:
  • Cooking
  • Baking
  • Viennese cooking and baking
  • Especially Linzer Torte
Tricks my mother taught me:
  • Keeping a cannister of vanilla sugar in the pantry by cutting up a vanilla bean into one inch pieces and putting them into a cannister of sugar. (You'll never have to use artificial vanilla flavoring if you use this sugar for baking.)
  • How to make the special lattice top for Linzer Torte
Things my mother would have loved if she were still alive today:
  • Costco
  • Large bags of almonds available at Costco
  • Hand-held Braun electric grinders, sold for grinding coffee beans but can be used for grinding just about anything
Tricks my mother probably would have figured out on her own if she were still alive today, but that she would have been proud of me for coming up with on my own:
  • Grinding up (in my hand-held Braun electric grinder) my own almonds (from Costco) and keeping them in a cannister in the pantry for making Linzer Torte, instead of paying exorbitant supermarket prices for ground almonds
Reasons I wish my mother were still alive today:
  • To taste my really great Linzer Torte with the lattice top that looks just like hers

10 Comments:

At Sat Aug 09, 01:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Made me smile - I bet your mother would have loved this post!

 
At Sat Aug 09, 01:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Made me smile too - your mother would ineeded have loved this post, as does your Dad for whom this blog was a real nostalia trip

 
At Sat Aug 09, 02:27:00 PM, Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Mom, family recipes, baking and Costco, all in the same post. It doesn't get any better than that.

My only wish is that I am creating the same kinds of memories for my daughters.

 
At Sat Aug 09, 05:15:00 PM, Blogger Lisa G said...

Mmmmm. Linzer torte. Great ode to Mom :)

 
At Sat Aug 09, 10:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww doc you're so sweet. What a grateful son your Mother has.

 
At Sun Aug 10, 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

Feel free to send me some of your Linzer Torte. I haven't had a good one since I lived in Heidelberg.

 
At Sun Aug 10, 01:54:00 PM, Blogger Book Worm said...

I love this post! I hope you're passing along the skill to a junior dinosaur. Family recipes are also endangered species, so I love reading about this conservation effort! : - )

 
At Mon Aug 11, 08:23:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Deb said...

This post is so sweet and loving.

 
At Wed Aug 13, 10:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post, and linzer torte too.

I have a recipe in which they showed it made for a July 4th picnic. Instead of the lattice they rolled out some dough and cut it with varying sizes of star shapes, and laid it on top. I do the same thing for Valentine's Day with my set of heart-shaped cutters.

You're a good son, Dino.

 
At Thu Aug 14, 06:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dino -- That was a very sweet post (in both senses). I agree that Mom would have loved Costco, its big bags of almonds, and handheld Braun grinders. FYI, you can grind those almonds in greater quantities in Cuisinarts (am I the only one who still has a Cuisinart?)

When can I come visit?

Love,

Your little sister (not the littlest, tho')

 

Post a Comment

<< Home