Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In Which I Must Brag (Because I Rock!)

I am thrilled to pieces to announce that not only did I pass the Family Medicine Recertification exam that I took back in July, but I did it with a higher score than I got on my original Certification exam back in 1989 and BOTH my re-certs in 1995 and 2001.

I'd read somewhere that the usual pattern is for scores on this exam to decrease somewhat with each recertification cycle, which sort of makes sense. The more time away from training (and the In-Training exams we took annually, created by the same Board) the rustier one's grasp on the basics might be expected to grow. This is indeed what happened to me the first two times I took the test (technically the second and third times.) But as of seven years ago, I was still at the 80th percentile, so I wasn't really worried about failing.

Still, I have to admit that I was as surprised as I was pleased to find out that my composite scaled score put me in the 94th percentile of everyone who took this exam.

So to all my patients reading this blog: See; I really do know what I'm doing.

[Off to do the Snoopy dance of happiness!]
(Many thanks, SS!)

17 Comments:

At Thu Sep 18, 08:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw. Does that mean you'll put away the funky mask and voodoo rattles? I thought those were cool!

 
At Thu Sep 18, 08:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!. You beat me. I only got a 91%ile. I need to sit next to your computer in that lab...

 
At Thu Sep 18, 08:57:00 PM, Blogger rlbates said...

Congrats!!!

 
At Thu Sep 18, 10:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So there! Good for you.

 
At Fri Sep 19, 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Doc said...

Rock on, Dino. Congrats. BTW, how much of these tests are just a money making scam? I always thought I could make easy money by creating a state licensing exam. Charge 1200 bucks, pass 98 per cent and sell some study guides. The board exams in psych. seem fairly unrelated to our actual clinical experience, and often just sort of random.

 
At Fri Sep 19, 12:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! You beat me, and I'm straight out of residency.

 
At Fri Sep 19, 12:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Dr.Dino!

 
At Fri Sep 19, 08:54:00 AM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

Congratulations!

 
At Fri Sep 19, 09:01:00 AM, Blogger mark's tails said...

Congrats, Great Work!

 
At Fri Sep 19, 11:12:00 AM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

Huzzah, Dino. Now quit crowing, and get back to writing! Deadlines, yanno...

 
At Fri Sep 19, 03:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! You do rock! Are you going to put the letter on your refrigerator?

 
At Fri Sep 19, 05:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

must be a function of the improved writing instrumets provided?

 
At Fri Sep 19, 05:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you accepting new patients?

 
At Fri Sep 19, 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Dr. K said...

Whoot! Congratulations, Dr. Dino.

 
At Sat Sep 20, 01:41:00 AM, Blogger jmb said...

Congratulations Dino, you are a star!

 
At Fri Sep 26, 04:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an educator involved in postgraduate learning can you identify why this may have occurred?

More CME? Different types of CME? More reflection on your educational needs?

I wonder if this can be measured across a larger sample?

 
At Fri Oct 10, 06:53:00 AM, Blogger Dragonfly said...

Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home