Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Color Blindness?

Saw a guy today with chronic back pain; last visit was almost a year ago. Checking the chart, I see that he was given a prescription anti-inflammatory and a pain-killer. I ask if he remembers how they worked. His answer:
The white one helped; the pink one didn't.
Um, ok. They were both generics, so we need to get ahold of the pharmacy where he filled the scripts. I bring the cordless phone into the exam room and make the call. I tell the pharmacist what the two drugs are, and tell him what my patient said. I ask her which drug was which. The answer:
Actually, one was yellow and the other was orange.
*Sigh*

(Full disclosure: The "yellow" was a very pale shade, apparently mistaken for white. The other was a deep shade of reddish-orange -- presumably pink; in the morning; with lousy light in the bathroom; without his glasses. But we shared a huge laugh.)

(The other cool thing was that it was the anti-inflammatory that had helped.)

2 Comments:

At Wed Oct 29, 07:49:00 AM, Blogger Resident Anesthesiologist Guy (RAG) said...

Have you seen the Epocrates for the iPhones? Gives a picture of the medications including all dosages and generics. If ever there was reason to get one...

 
At Wed Oct 29, 02:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the pain med Darvocet? OMG you need sunglasses to look at those things otherwise they hurt your eyes! >_<

 

Post a Comment

<< Home