Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

From the Department of "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"

Overheard in the doctors' lounge: a colleague had received this letter from a patient:
I understand that Lipitor has pancreatitis as a potential side effect. As you know, I was taking Lipitor at the time of my hospitalization for pancreatitis a few months ago. Would you please review my records and see whether it was the Lipitor and not my heavy drinking that may have been responsible for my pancreatitis?
The sad thing is that the Department of Risk Management is now expecting him to review this patient's two inch thick hospital record, and come up with an actual answer.

7 Comments:

At Wed Jan 03, 07:32:00 PM, Blogger MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

Ah - the informed patient.

Gotta love 'em.

 
At Thu Jan 04, 08:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often wonder if people think that disease has a little gift tag on it to tell you who or what to thank for it.

 
At Thu Jan 04, 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Seriously?

I think part of me just curled up for a long lie down.

Regards - Shinga

 
At Thu Jan 04, 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Sid Schwab said...

I'm sure the records will provide the answer, clearly and specifically. Page 210, I'd think.

 
At Thu Jan 04, 12:52:00 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Sorry - I actually snort-laughed when I heard this. Because it's not my patient or my hospital. It's pretty hilarious if it doesn't involve you.

 
At Thu Jan 04, 12:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is hilarious - even to an uninformed layperson who hadn't heard the word "pancreatitis" until this post. Of course, thereafter I did a quick google to have an idea.... Does the guy wants a number as to the probability of one thing or the other being the cause? Does the clinic employs statisticians?

Any idea why he wants to know? To have an excuse to continue drinking or to sue Lipitor makers? Not that I know anything, but from my layperson's perspective he'll have hard time convincing the jury.

 
At Thu Jan 04, 02:36:00 PM, Blogger Emily DeVoto, Ph.D., said...

Diora - just exactly. There's no way to prove which, if either or if not both, was responsible. The Risk Management Dept. should know that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home