Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Impulse Control

What's worse than a person (who already has three cats and a dog) who can't say no? (Edit thanks to Sid.)

Answer: the Darling Spouse of said person, who says "Why not?"

So there we were, running our morning errands. We stopped at Home Depot for new leather gardening gloves, because the waist-high weeds laughing at us from the front of the house were finally getting on my nerves. Then to Target (pronounced "Tar-jay" of course) for some shorts and hamburger buns. Finally a stop at the pet store for cat food.

On the way in we noticed a vehicle out front: the SPCA Mobile Adoption Unit. Just inside the front door they had set up shop with their rolling cat cages and literature-stuffed table. As usual, we checked out the denizens to see if anyone struck our fancy. I have no idea why one non-descript brown and gray tabby caught my eye. The nice man opened the cage and let me stroke him. In short order, the cat pressed his head against my hand and began to purr. Game, set, match: cat.

So once again, all I did was go out for cat food, and came home with another cat. So far he's a little timid, but that's understandable. He's had all of, oh, two hours here so far. What I find either fascinating or hilarious (haven't decided) is that the other cats don't even seem to have noticed him yet. Hey; they always seemed pretty mellow to me. Nice to see I was right. (Until after dark; then we'll hear the fur fly.)

(Not to worry. We'll give the new guy a room to himself when we can't supervise, until we're sure everyone's ok.)

4 Comments:

At Sat Jun 02, 08:20:00 PM, Blogger Sid Schwab said...

I'm glad I don't have a dog who can't say no.

 
At Mon Jun 04, 02:54:00 PM, Blogger The Tundra PA said...

I can see you and Darling Spouse someday many years hence as bright-eyed Little Old People rocking away on your front porch surrounded by two dozen cats of every description occupying every square inch of horizontal surface. Of course, as the previous owner of as many as six cats at one time, I'll be the Little Old Lady next door doing the same thing...

 
At Mon Jun 04, 03:34:00 PM, Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

...someday many years hence...

Yeah; 2009, at this rate.

 
At Tue Jun 05, 08:42:00 PM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

Your new furball is lucky to have a loving home. I have a canine pound princess myself and feel our adopted fuzzy coats make the bestest of friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home