Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Bleached Blonde Moment

Lady comes in for a checkup. Only complaint is of a painful area on the right side of her chest, just below her armpit. No breast masses. Too young for mammography. No family history of breast cancer.

Show me where it hurts, I ask.

She lifts her shirt and palpates around the side of the breast, up under the arm; finally locates the spot. "Here."

I look. "Put your arm back down," I say while still holding the shirt up. "Is it right there at the spot where the underwire from your bra hits?"

Why yes, it was. Fancy that. And she wasn't even a natural blond. Apparently just bleaching your hair for too many years has the same effect.

(Posted with the patient's enthusiastic consent. We both shared a huge laugh from this visit.)

5 Comments:

At Sun Sep 16, 02:15:00 PM, Blogger rlbates said...

Thanks for sharing the laugh with us.

 
At Sun Sep 16, 02:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny how the blonde starts to wear in after a while... ;)

I had the same problem once. (The blonde wearing in part, not the bra trouble!)

 
At Mon Sep 17, 10:39:00 AM, Blogger Bookhorde said...

Underwires are EVIL. (Specially if one is breastfeedinng.)

 
At Thu Sep 20, 02:17:00 PM, Blogger RobC said...

Real blondes are too clever to use bleach...
My daughter is a blonde. :-)

 
At Wed Oct 10, 01:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best laugh of the day. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home