Just Being Healthy
Saw a patient last week, who kept insisting he just wanted to be healthy. His health was very important to him. Here's what he was doing to get and stay as healthy as he could:
- He was exercising three times a week. He'd even gotten a personal trainer.
- He was taking all kinds of vitamins and supplements, including a multivitamin, calcium, vitamin E and fish oil capsules.
- He was taking colon flushes, to rid his body of toxins.
- Get a colonoscopy (despite his age of 56 and a family history of colon cancer.)
- Take meds for his LDL cholesterol of 195.
- Stop smoking.
Did you know that self-inflicted tongue lacerations heal beautifully all by themselves? No sutures or prophylactic antibiotics necessary, either. Thank goodness for small favors.
*What I actually did, of course, was congratulate him for exercising; let him know that he'd probably be better off without the fish oil and vitamin E; and tell him that the colon flushes were woo. Mentioned that colonoscopy wasn't really that bad; neither were statins, though he wouldn't take a script; and talk him into trying Chantix.