Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Political Wish

Would it be too much to ask that sometime during the upcoming general election we can be treated to a debate -- between whichever two candidates end up running -- moderated by Jon Stewart?

John McCain has been a guest on The Daily Show numerous times. Barack Obama has been on at least twice. Hillary hasn't yet, and if she turns out to be the Democratic nominee, her handlers will probably try to dissuade her from appearing. But if the contest ends up being between Obama and McCain, I think there's an excellent chance they would actually agree.

And it would be fabulous! Stewart is funny but he's also brutally honest and incredibly straightforward. He regularly discusses issues of great substance, even as he cracks everyone up with his stealthy one-liners. After all, where is it written that a Presidential debate can't be fun? Heck, I wouldn't put it past him to stage an informal one on the Daily Show by inviting both of the candidates at the same time. Seriously, though; that's something I'd really love to see.

(And PS: Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!)

Edit: Thanks to Blogger's new "scheduled" feature, I wrote this before I saw this, posted by Movin' Meat. Based on his comments, I would guess he'd agree with me, and would eagerly lobby for such a debate.

6 Comments:

At Sun May 11, 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Shaye Whitmer: Devourer of Worlds said...

I think this would be a great idea. But - Hillary has been on at least twice - once prior to declaring her campaign and once via satellite in the past 2 months. So she might agree too.

 
At Sun May 11, 12:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, would sign that petition.

 
At Sun May 11, 09:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't be worse than Gibson and Stephanopoulos! I'd watch --

But my number-one moderator vote is you, so I can watch a debate in which the candidate with the worst answers (McCain) will be called "fucktard."

What's not to love?

 
At Tue May 13, 09:35:00 AM, Blogger Bookhorde said...

That would be so funny. Can Colbert be a co-moderator for "balance"?

Hillary's been on The Colbert Report fairly recently also (just before PA), same night as Edwards. She came in as a know-it-all fixing everything and Edwards did "Ed Words" asking for both camps to give him a jetski to get his endorsement.
They were both pretty funny.

 
At Tue May 13, 05:30:00 PM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

I still think that Stewart's best work was in Elmopalooza."

 
At Fri May 16, 07:26:00 AM, Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

I have the serious hots for Jon Stewart, so you would get my unanimous vote on this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home