Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Eastern Cacti

The previous owners of the condo unit where I have my office planted cacti. On the east coast. It's not usually all that hot here, and it's certainly not desert-dry; in fact, the humidity is often stifling. Yet somehow the recent weather here has resulted in this:



Here are some close-ups of the blossoms:



Pretty magnificent, don't you think.

12 Comments:

At Thu Jun 26, 09:21:00 PM, Blogger Peg said...

pretty darn cool....thanks for sharing.

 
At Thu Jun 26, 09:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous.

 
At Thu Jun 26, 10:21:00 PM, Blogger rlbates said...

Very cool!

 
At Thu Jun 26, 10:41:00 PM, Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

amazing!

 
At Fri Jun 27, 06:49:00 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

I'll forego the comment about pricks that I had coome up with...

Pretty flowers!

 
At Fri Jun 27, 06:57:00 AM, Blogger Evil Transport Lady said...

Wow! Very pretty!

 
At Fri Jun 27, 08:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had those at the last house I rented here in Michigan. So much for desert-loving plants! Nice pics.

 
At Fri Jun 27, 12:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in the desert (AZ) and ours are never that pretty when they bloom

Sailynn

 
At Fri Jun 27, 12:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Show what water will do for a body.

 
At Fri Jun 27, 01:59:00 PM, Blogger Ed said...

Looks like Prickly Pear (Opuntia sp.), which I've seen growing on long-abandoned islands in Connecticut. It's unlikely but possible for it to fruit, which is tasty.

 
At Fri Jun 27, 04:09:00 PM, Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Beautiful!
I had no clue flower from cacti could look like that!

 
At Fri Jun 27, 11:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. All I have in my garden is dog stinkhorns. Ew!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home