Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Another Example of Why I Can't Win

Patient A: Will you write me something for my vertigo, Doc?

Me: You can get meclizine over the counter without a prescription.

Patient A: Yeah, but it costs $10 and my prescription co-pay is only $5.

Me: Ok.

Patient B: Hey Doc; that script you wrote me for meclizine will cost me a $30 co-pay. Isn't there anything cheaper?

Me: You can get it over the counter for $10.

Patient B: So why did you write the prescription?

Me: (muttering) Because I can't win.

8 Comments:

At Wed Aug 06, 08:07:00 AM, Blogger rlbates said...

Some days are like that. :)

 
At Wed Aug 06, 11:28:00 AM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

Sounds like a conversation with one of my kids when they were in high school.

 
At Wed Aug 06, 05:00:00 PM, Blogger Dreaming again said...

or gee, they could get the generic otc generic for $7 at walmart not the name brand at walgreens.

 
At Wed Aug 06, 05:01:00 PM, Blogger Dreaming again said...

generic meclazine rather than generic otc generic ... whoops

 
At Wed Aug 06, 05:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Notice to patients: There are 99 bazillion insurance plans in this country. I am a doctor, not an insurance expert. It is your responsibility to know what your insurance does and doesn't pay. Don't ask me if your insurance will pay for a nebulizer machine, wrist splint, certain medication, massage therapist, physical therapist...because I don't know. Call the number on the back of your card or look in the book your employer gives you that explains your particular plan.

 
At Wed Aug 06, 08:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote the prescription because I am a nice guy and didn't want to argue with you. I listened to what you said your insurance would do for you.

So I now am getting punished for actually spending time and really listening to you. Please thank your insurance for wasting both our times, twice over.

 
At Wed Aug 06, 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

Do you ever get the urge to bang your head into a wall? Sheesh!

MJ

 
At Fri Aug 08, 01:08:00 PM, Blogger Alanda Jacobs said...

Why is it that I'm reading the line "Because I can't win" in the voice of House?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home