Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Maudlin Parental Pride

It may come as a surprise to all six of my regular readers, but I have a daughter in addition to my two sons (the Jock and the NinjaBaker, formerly the Nestling.) She and the Jock are twins. I like to tell my friends that I have good news and bad news: the good news is that both of my twins have completed three years of college. The bad news is that no one will graduate this year. The Jock is on the 5-year plan (Darling Spouse calls him a red-shirted senior) and his sister has left the university setting to attend art school.

Make no mistake: I'm fine with this. She's happy, and we are on the same page about the purpose of education: being able to support herself. Hence her likely major in a commercially viable field such as Graphic Art, although I understand her designation of a major is still technically up in the air.

She's begun doing some really neat stuff that I can't resist sharing:


"Line Abstract"



"Sewing Abstract"

Thank you for your indulgence. This ends the test of the Maudlin Parental Pride System. If this were actually a site dedicated to bragging about children, you would have been subjected to countless illustrated posts of the intellectual, artistic, athletic, and other myriad accomplishments of my progeny instead of the occasional such entry. We now return you to your regularly scheduled cynical, curmudgeonly blogging.

9 Comments:

At Sun Nov 16, 06:19:00 PM, Blogger OHN said...

Awwww....even cranky old boogers like us are allowed to let a little softness leak through now and then.

 
At Mon Nov 17, 05:26:00 AM, Blogger Evil Transport Lady said...

That's great! Glad to hear some bragging! You did a great job "Dad"!

 
At Mon Nov 17, 03:53:00 PM, Blogger Resident Anesthesiologist Guy (RAG) said...

I like the projects. I was on the graphic art design path before deciding to go into premed and remember doing those kinds of works well. They can be great and hard to please all at the same time - difficult to make black and white look engaging.

 
At Mon Nov 17, 07:30:00 PM, Blogger LicensedToILL said...

I'm gonna miss the middle class...

 
At Mon Nov 17, 10:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, rag,
I don't really like working in b/w and my design teacher is almost never happy with what I produce, but lucky for me the semester is almost over!
~Daughter Dino

 
At Tue Nov 18, 06:28:00 PM, Blogger Bosszilla said...

This is for daughter Dino - I'm looking for someone with your talent. Serious! Interested? Think about it. It's for t-shirts. Talk to the head dino and let me know.

 
At Tue Nov 18, 09:00:00 PM, Blogger jmb said...

Well, well, well. That does come as a complete surprise Dino.

Good luck to Daughter Dino, but she needs a better pseudonym than this frankly.

I am impressed. I love the second one especially.

 
At Wed Nov 19, 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Daughter Dino (Can I call you DD?) -

Great looking work there. THe first one remonds me of something from the art deco years.

Best of luck pursuing the dream.

 
At Wed Nov 19, 07:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement! and yea, I know I need a better pseudo than "DD", but it sorta stuck. O well. If anyone wants to see more of my schoolwork, i upload it weekly on DeviantArt.
http://zephyr09.deviantart.com/

~Daughter Dino

[End Needless Advertising]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home