Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Monday, January 08, 2007

As I have been (Not) Saying...

I would like to extend my sincere appreciation to my better-late-than-never colleagues' recognition of the hoopla (or should I say "woo-pla") of all of the assorted blogging "awards" (to which I am intentionally not linking) that have recently occluded the flow of spontaneous blogging.

For what it's worth, I would like to point out that way back on December 18th I wrote this:
  • It's more about the writing than the readers.
This is the real reason for this post. I don't want the kind folks who nominated me (and may vote for me) for Best New Medical Weblog to think I don't appreciate their esteem. I am truly flattered. But I'm not doing this for the awards. The acclaim and recognition are very nice, but I know myself well enough to be aware that the quest for these things could easily overwhelm my original blogging intentions. And I don't think I'd like myself very much if that happened to me. I write/blog because I want to. I'm thrilled to have my opinions respected -- even when they're disagreed with -- but just getting my words out there has to be enough for me. I'm content with my small circle of readers. If it expands, wonderful. If not, fine. It's very important to me not to get all caught up in my blogging wonderfulness.
Granted it was buried at the very end of "My Personal Blogging Rules," but the whole point of my post was the same as what Dr. Dork and Dr. Flea are now coming to see.

So again, thanks to all who enjoy my blog. But don't expect to see any animated yellow-and-blue icons flashing around here anytime soon.

3 Comments:

At Mon Jan 08, 08:38:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was alays taught that it is better to be a descriptive rather than proscriptive grammarian (long story). Blogging is so personal and means such different things to different people that some will enjoy competitions and others ignore them. We all blog for different reasons but there is a reason why we choose to blog publicly rather than privately.

Alongside laughing at some of the absurdities, there have been bloggers such as Dr. Crippen who report that they enjoy reading blogs that they have not come across previously and would not have done without the nomination lists.

Interesting GR theme from your sidebar.

Regards - Shinga

 
At Mon Jan 08, 05:34:00 PM, Blogger Sid Schwab said...

I'm with you on this, and have remained blogically silent. I note some have a cake/eat approach, however.

My ego is not above seeking strokes (nor, as I said in a comment elsewhere, other organs as well), so I'm not saying there's no pleasure at all. Still, it changes one's focus -- if briefly -- from the real reason for the enterprise. Well said, as usual.

 
At Mon Jan 08, 05:58:00 PM, Blogger Dr Dork said...

Dino old chap,

I confess my recent posting on this is, perhaps intentionally, inflammatory on the matter.

Many have been (arguably) guilty of hypocrisy on this matter - myself included.

As you put so well - and we seem to blog for similar reasons - all that matters is whilst there are merits to such things, they have little relevance...for myself. Specifically.

All these fancy little widgets tracking visitors and their locations feed the same onanistic aspect of the ego. I think I should cut down to a single sitemonitor...mght be able to justify just one...

But so hard to let go of it....uh, *ahem*...I mean, so hard to let go of them.

Kudos
Dork

 

Post a Comment

<< Home