Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Hiatus (Sort of)

I won't be blogging much in the month of November because I'm going to be writing a novel.

A whole novel? In the month of November?

That's right. Actually it's only 50,000 words (most modern commercial fiction runs about 80-120,000 words, for comparison) but yes, it must be completed by November 30th.

Why?

Why not? November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for short.) If you've never heard of it before, check out the website; it's a hoot, especially the FAQ page (be sure to read all the sections; they've broken it up so it doesn't go on for three years, but some of the funniest bits are in the Rules, Community and Technology sections.) If you are familiar with it, go check it out again anyway; it's still funny as hell.

I did this last year, had a blast, and completed a very funny murder mystery that I self-published and sell out of my office. I still have to get around to marketing it to my community (it's got lots of local references) but it's selling even without being on Amazon.

One woman who read it sent me a note telling me she was looking forward to reading more about my hero's adventures. That's when I got the idea to take the same hero (he's sort of a buffoonish caricature, as were all my other "characters") through all the different genres of fiction. So this year I'm trying my hand at a thriller: an intentional spoof of The DaVinci Code. I'm a little worried about what they call the "Sophomore Smack-Down"; apparently the second year is the hardest. But starting tomorrow, 1667 words a day minimum is my goal. Blogging will have to come second.

I'll keep you posted, if anyone gives a shit. Otherwise, see you in December.

10 Comments:

At Tue Oct 31, 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Clark Bartram said...

Thanks for letting me in on this. I think I'll give it a try.

 
At Tue Oct 31, 11:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Dr. Dino...What a great idea, except I will miss you while you are away.. I think I might even miss arguing with you!

I GIVE A SHIT!!!

 
At Tue Oct 31, 11:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Dr. Dino...What a great idea, except I will miss you while you are away.. I think I might even miss arguing with you!

I GIVE A SHIT!!!

 
At Tue Oct 31, 09:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How interesting. Thank you for the information and link. Neat stuff, and you were right - the rules are funny. That's good writing.

 
At Wed Nov 01, 12:05:00 AM, Blogger Felix Kasza said...

I am not just willing to give a shit -- I'll gladly throw in a urine sample, too!

Cheers,
Felix.

 
At Wed Nov 01, 01:21:00 PM, Blogger MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

Have fun. We will miss your takes on all parts medicine.

Lates,
MSG

 
At Thu Nov 02, 10:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not post your novel online - a post a day? I wouldn't mind reading 1667 words each day if it's interesting...

BTW - Love your blog

 
At Thu Nov 09, 11:54:00 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Wow, thanks for the link. I'm glad I found your blog - not just for that - as I am hoping to be a future dinosaur too! Can't wait to keep reading.

 
At Tue Nov 14, 10:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might want to check out lulu.com, a self publishing site.

 
At Wed Nov 15, 06:39:00 AM, Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

Jeff: I know Lulu very well. They gave me a free copy of my last year's NaNo novel, and I'm still using them to produce it for sale in my office.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home