Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Telling it Like it Is

By way of welcoming a newcomer to my blogroll, On the Pharm had a great post the other day about convincing someone that they really did need to get the series of rabies immunizations if they had been exposed.

His story reminded me of a call a few winters ago from the wife of a patient with diabetes and hypertension who smoked (of course):

Wife: My husband says he feels some pressure in his chest, and his arms feel really heavy from all the snow he's been shovelling. And I don't like his color; he's kind of gray.

Me: It sounds like he may be having a heart attack. I think you need to take him to the ER.

Wife (after conferring with patient): He doesn't want to do that.

Me (in a very calm, reassuring, almost cheerful tone): Ok. Is his will up to date?

Wife (with little hesitation): I'm taking him.

True story. Outcome: acute inferior MI. He's still with us.

2 Comments:

At Thu Mar 29, 08:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words. As soon as I've updated the look for OnThePharm, you'll be joining my blogroll as well.

By way of a similar story, one of our regulars was experiencing similar symptoms. The pharmacist on convinced this man to take his wife to the hospital. She also had a heart attack, but she's still among the living, too. :)

 
At Thu Mar 29, 10:19:00 AM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

"Me (in a very calm, reassuring, almost cheerful tone): Ok. Is his will up to date?"

Brilliant. That's my kind of doc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home