Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Monday, March 26, 2007

A Timid Foray into Politics

John Edwards made his living -- and a very good one at that -- convincing people twelve at a time of things that were not true. The ability to convince people of things that are not true, whether it's the fact that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction or that cerebral palsy is caused by birth trauma, does not strike me as a particularly appropriate qualification for president.

Perhaps the excuse can be made that they believed what they were saying was in fact true at the time they said it. If that were the case, then when the truth came to light and the falsity of their previous statements became obvious, the honorable thing to do would be admit and apologize.

Although it looks like the current president will never admit he was wrong, we are at least requiring the issue be addressed by presidential candidates in terms of their justification of previous positions supporting a war now known to be based on falsehoods.

What about Edwards? Anyone seen him out there apologizing for claiming that birth trauma causes CP? Hell no. That information was already known even as he was convincing juries otherwise. He's probably still holding to the idea as tenaciously as Bush is to the idea of Iraq's involvement with 9/11.

I'm scared by the idea of another president who can persuade others that things he knows are false are in fact true -- in other words, lying.

9 Comments:

At Mon Mar 26, 10:50:00 AM, Blogger Bookhorde said...

I'm scared by the idea of another president who can persuade others that things he knows are false are in fact true -- in other words, lying.

And there's someone else running who isn't an accomplished liar?

 
At Mon Mar 26, 01:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't made up my mind who I'll vote for, and I don't vote in the primaries, anyway. But voter mom has a point.
Most of these people are lawyers and politicians. Neither profession has a reputation for honesty.

 
At Mon Mar 26, 03:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are all a bunch of liars--my ex should go into politics . . .

*sigh*

 
At Mon Mar 26, 05:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course there are people running who aren't accomplished liars. It's possible that they are good liars, but that doesn't mean we have anywhere near the solid proof we do for Edwards. Obama, McCain, Giuliani.. really the only ones whose trustworthiness I doubt are Hillary and Edwards. Of course there are a lot of other issues to consider when deciding who to vote for, but being unable to trust them to tell the truth is a rule-out on the most basic level.

 
At Mon Mar 26, 05:28:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Deb said...

And think of the level of denial about the decision to continuing forward with the campaign despite the seriousness of Edward's wife's cancer. Sheesh, that sure was a run-on sentence. But y'know what I mean.

 
At Tue Mar 27, 01:12:00 AM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I have had grave misgivings about that man for some time now because of that very issue. I really think he needs to drop out and spend some quality last moments with his wife.

 
At Tue Mar 27, 03:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The election is still 18 months away. A lot can happen between now and November 2008. He may tank in the polls and decide to drop out. He may change his mind if his wife's situation worsens rapidly.

Let's not count our chickens before they're hatched, people. It's not over until it's over.

In the meantime life goes on for the Edwardses as it does for all of us. I mean, what do you expect us cancer people to do - retire to a fainting couch for however long it takes until we die?

I am realistic about the disease but my mind boggles at the prejudice and outdated stereotypes that persist about what we should and shouldn't do. While y'all probably mean well, I hope you realize that these attitudes are reinforcing the employment and insurance discrimination that already exists against people with a history of current or past cancer.

This discrimination is subtle but real. It's the attitude that we should withdraw from an active and meaningful life, because, geez, we have cancer and we would be better off planning our funerals and saying our goodbyes. It's the attitude that if we allow our lives to go on as usual, we are somehow in denial or somehow doing a disservice to our families.

Stop trying to rush me into the cemetery. I'll cross these bridges *if* and *when* I reach them. Not before.

Elizabeth Edwards is not dying, at least not yet. She could gain at least another year or she could gain five more years. While the long-term picture does not look optimistic, I think it's ill-judged and premature to be talking about "quality last moments."

Sheesh, y'all.

 
At Wed Mar 28, 09:59:00 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

I think what The Edwards are going through personally is very sad. I have great empathy for them. Also, their children will have alot of hard times coming up.

Politically, I can't stand the man! I couldn't stand him a few years ago, when he was running with that other liar. He would NEVER get my vote.

 
At Sun Apr 01, 06:29:00 PM, Blogger Sid Schwab said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home