Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Words to Inspire Great Fear

From a new patient:
I'm going to make this very easy for you.
Hearing that as an opening, you just know-know-know that deciphering the history from the torrent of words to follow -- down to figuring out the actual chief complaint -- is going to be anything but "easy."

Reminded me of a time many years ago when my very first staffer answered the phone, listened for a while, eventually hung up and began to laugh. What's so funny, I asked. Answer:
This lady says, "I'm a no-nonsense kind of person," and then she proceeds to talk ten minutes of nonsense!

2 Comments:

At Fri Jul 20, 09:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's possible to be a no-nonsense kind of person and still talk a load of crap.

Sometimes it's just nice to have someone that will listen.

That said, having to listen to other people's nonsense drives me up the wall when there's work to be done, regardless of how businesslike they usually are or not. :)

 
At Wed Jul 25, 02:03:00 AM, Blogger SeaSpray said...

Just curious - was the 10 minute nonsense caller someone that wanted to be a new patient?

Why didn't the receptionist/office worker take the reigns and get the appropriate info from her? I can't imagine taking 10 minutes to listen without getting a phone number to call back as time allows if she could not be assisted immediately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home