Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

I've Always Wondered This Myself

A while ago there was (yet another) hullabaloo over at a The Underwear Drawer (neat blog; hat tip to RJS for the link) about the tired old "OMG" about admissions to exclusive preschools in NYC. I found the best answer to a question I too have often pondered in this comment:
How [can one] possibly determine a four- or five-year-old's chances of academic success based on an aptitude test or two and a 15- or 30-minute "interview"?
It turns out that this is the answer:
They don't. They look at the kid's parents. Not at how well they play The Game, but whether they seem caring, sane, intelligent, and likely to provide the kind of love and support that children need to flourish.
Good to know. Makes sense, doesn't it.

3 Comments:

At Sat Nov 10, 03:44:00 PM, Blogger Shelby said...

Common sense. I love it.

Enjoyed reading through your blog.. I went to my doctor yesterday and wrote about it.

 
At Sat Nov 10, 07:01:00 PM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

I'd like to know why they demand common sense from us parents when they employ so little of it themselves. I'm a former teacher - I've earned my bitching rights.

 
At Sun Nov 11, 09:11:00 AM, Blogger Zany Mom said...

And if a child has sane, intelligent, loving, supportive, and involved parents, preschool (and school too, for that matter) isn't necessary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home