Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Eighth Night of Hanukkah

Here it is; the magnificent new centerpiece of my menorah collection: "The Wall," a work of art in fused glass, representing the Western Wall of the Temple in Jerusalem, by Israeli artist Tamara Baskin:


It's ten inches high by twelve inches long, and pictures just don't do it justice. I trust you can see why Darling Spouse and I were so taken with it.

I hope you've all enjoyed this little romp through my menorah collection. Thanks so much for sharing the holiday with me, especially all those who were kind enough to leave such nice comments (though all you lurkers were just as welcome.) I wish you all a very Happy Hanukkah!

Edited to add:

Darling Spouse, whose interest in this blog I had always believed was limited to "When are you going to get your ass off that damn computer?" insisted that it would be only appropriate to add this picture of the boring old ordinary menorah that we actually used this year fully alight on the last night of Hanukkah:


Actually, I think this menorah was one of the Jock's Bar Mitzvah gifts, but I'm holding onto it for him until he sets up housekeeping on his own. The foil-covered metal tray is my nod to safety. If you look carefully you can see the eight days of accumulated wax drippings, as well as the matches behind the candles on the right. Not nearly as elegant and amazing as the other eight, but a menorah full of lit candles always gives me a thrill. Happy Hanukkah, everyone!

19 Comments:

At Tue Dec 11, 06:54:00 PM, Blogger Ladyk73 said...

Thank you for sharing. They have been so beautiful.

 
At Tue Dec 11, 06:57:00 PM, Blogger frizzzzle said...

Like in response to the finale in a fireworks show, I can only say "Ahhh". This is really a piece of art! Such rich colors, it has, and it carries deep symbolism. Looks like it'd weigh a ton, too.

Thanks for the wonderful show you've given us. I, too, look forward to a photo of the one you're celebrating the holiday with.

 
At Tue Dec 11, 07:59:00 PM, Blogger jmb said...

Thanks for sharing these with us Dino and my post about this series is up too. I hope you like it for it has has been a great pleasure to see your treasures.
Happy Hanukkah to you and your family.
I hope the link works, if not:
http://nobodyimportant-jmb.blogspot.com/2007/12/on-eighth-day-of-hanukkah.html
regards
jmb

 
At Tue Dec 11, 08:06:00 PM, Blogger rlbates said...

I love this one! All of them have been beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.

Happy Hanukkah!

 
At Tue Dec 11, 08:35:00 PM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

Dino, this is gorgeous. I needed a smile. I just found out my son's best friend in basic training was killed in Iraq. Indeed, this is a time for blessing everyone.

 
At Wed Dec 12, 01:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful collection you have. I wish you a Happy Hanukkah. I am visiting via JMB's blog.

Cariboo Ponderer

 
At Wed Dec 12, 03:05:00 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

Thank you so much - the eighth one was definitely the pride and joy of the series, but the lit one carried so much more import. My best wishes to you and your family.

 
At Wed Dec 12, 10:46:00 AM, Blogger girlvet said...

Beautiful stuff and really interesting..

 
At Wed Dec 12, 10:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a stunner.

 
At Wed Dec 12, 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

So many lovely pieces! I have to admit that my favorite was the first one, but they were all fun to see.

 
At Wed Dec 12, 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Sid Schwab said...

You operate your computer with your ass?

 
At Wed Dec 12, 06:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for sharing your collection. It is beautiful!

 
At Wed Dec 12, 07:58:00 PM, Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

"When are you going to get your ass off [the chair in front of] that damn computer?"

Ok, Sid?

 
At Thu Dec 13, 08:52:00 AM, Blogger tk said...

Absolutely beautiful . . . and happy Hanukkah!

 
At Thu Dec 13, 08:53:00 AM, Blogger tk said...

hey, speaking of your ass, you need to get it on pownce!

 
At Thu Dec 13, 01:06:00 PM, Blogger Liz Hinds said...

THta is a beautiful show-piece but isn't the simple one just as lovely in its own way?

I came here via jmb's blog where she is singing your praises.

 
At Thu Dec 13, 08:01:00 PM, Blogger Detail Muse said...

Most meaningful: Eighth night
Most delightful: Seventh night
My favorite: Sixth night
Lovely: every one

 
At Thu Dec 13, 09:58:00 PM, Blogger Dreaming again said...

Thank you sooo much for sharing!!

I was about to tell you just how very much I enjoyed them and thank you for not using candles in them, or lit candles, when I scrolled down and saw the candles/candle light.

Sigh

I'm in Oklahoma ... where we've been hit by the ice storm ...and after 4 days without electricity ... I NEVER want to see a candle again!!

 
At Wed Jan 02, 11:39:00 AM, Blogger Aviva said...

Wow, that newest addition to your collection is something! How gorgeous! We only have two menorahs, one that was given to me after my grandmother died when I was a freshman in college that's nothing special beyond the huge sentimental value, and one my daughter received for her 2nd bday (i.e. last year) that is a Noah's Ark theme. We lit both this year. I've heard that some households have a tradition of lighting a menorah for each person in the household, so if you really love the look of a fully lit menorah, you should consider that for next year. :)

I'm new to your blog, but really enjoying it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home