Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Do as I Say, Not as I Do

Yesterday I received a special envelope, hand-delivered by Federal Express. Inside this special envelope was a survey from the National Institutes of Health. They wanted to assess my knowledge, attitudes and opinions about obesity, diet, exercise and lifestyle issues. Also enclosed within the special hand-delivered envelope was a check for $30 as a token of their appreciation.

The survey was a booklet of questions with large blocks in which I was to record my answers with either X's or check marks. As promised in each of the three separate cover letters, it took no more than fifteen minutes of my time. I inserted the completed survey in the postage-paid envelope, sealed it and put it into the outgoing mailbox.

I slipped the $30 check into the envelope of deposits I needed to take to the bank, locked up the office and left for the day. I went to the bank and put the various deposits into their assorted accounts, and cashed the $30 check from the National Institutes of Health; a token of their appreciation for my completion of a survey on obesity, diet, exercise and lifestyle issues.

After dinner, Darling Spouse and I went over to the mall to replace our dishwasher. (The thing was over twenty years old; it didn't owe us anything.) After completing that chore we strolled out into the mall, where I made a beeline for the Lindt store; where I spent the $30 -- from the National Institutes of Health survey on knowledge, attitudes and opinions about obesity, diet, exercise and lifestyle issues -- on chocolate.

11 Comments:

At Fri Mar 14, 10:11:00 PM, Blogger Bardiac said...

Now, if you had walked briskly to the chocolate counter, that would have been okay!

 
At Sat Mar 15, 01:20:00 AM, Blogger tk said...

Hey, chocolate is healthy . . . ;)

Way to go Dino! A doctor after my own heart :D

 
At Sat Mar 15, 02:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naughty! I love it. so, will you also be provided with the results of this survey, perhaps as published in a journal article? (common courtesy, of course, for those who participate in such surveys)... Please do let us know when this survey is published so we can be edified.

 
At Sat Mar 15, 04:14:00 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

..... and quite right too.

 
At Sat Mar 15, 04:16:00 AM, Blogger jmb said...

And money well spent I'd say.

 
At Sat Mar 15, 10:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds about right to me. spent as it was intended, a small token of appreciation for your educated opinion . . . everyone knows chocolate makes a nice gesture.

 
At Sat Mar 15, 07:48:00 PM, Blogger Manda said...

That's truly beautiful. It's not like you spent it on Peeps and Cadbury Eggs. If you're going to indulge it should be on something of quality.

 
At Sat Mar 15, 10:18:00 PM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

Oh, I adore the Lindt store. I could just breathe the air wafting out and be happy.

 
At Mon Mar 17, 01:46:00 AM, Blogger Dr. K said...

I stand alone and object.

That was just wrong.

Fun blogging, yes, but wrong.

 
At Tue Mar 18, 02:37:00 PM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

That delicious bit of irony was hysterical.

Dr. K, why is it wrong? The money is now Dino's, so if she wants chocolate, then isn't she entitled to it? Now, if she had clogged arteries, required a walker to hold her weight, and told all her patients to eat with caloric abandon, this probably wouldn't have been the best use of the money. But it's still her choice to do as she pleases. Just sayin'...

 
At Thu Mar 20, 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Sid Schwab said...

I used to get little surveys from drug companies, along with a check for a buck or two. I kept the check, never did the survey. The money was sent unsolicited. I suppose one might feel a twinge since it was from the NIH; still, they sent it. No one requested it. Even at thirty bucks, it's not a lot for one's time. The buck or two was an insult.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home