Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Schizophrenia is Painful

To whoever posted the 27,881 word comment on one of my previous posts, I have only one thing to say:

Dude, please take your meds.

For anyone else, either medical students on or preparing for a psychiatry rotation or confirmed insomniacs looking for a sure-fire sleep aid, email me if you want to read it. Although I deleted it from the blog, I saved a copy, much as ER docs keep collections of bizarre objects removed from assorted orifices. Bear in mind that nearly 28,000 words comes out to 35 single-spaced pages. That's one blog comment. I've actually had this happen before, but that one was only about 14,000 words. I have no idea how long it took to write this one, but it's clear to me that the writer is in pain.

13 Comments:

At Sat Jul 05, 08:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, 28,000 words. Is it schizophrenia, or maybe manic and psychotic to write that many pages?!?

 
At Sat Jul 05, 08:51:00 PM, Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

The associations were pretty loose, and there was a lot of paranoid ideation and very bizarre stuff. Definitely psychotic (schizophrenia being a form of psychosis) and very likely manic as well.

 
At Sat Jul 05, 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Dragonfly said...

I remember seeing that and being rather confused....

 
At Sat Jul 05, 08:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should post it as a separate page. Or, maybe just the highlights.

 
At Sat Jul 05, 11:09:00 PM, Blogger Manda said...

I don't think they need anymore attention than to be told to take their meds. My brother gets like that sometimes. We can tell when he's off or has run out. I'm thankful for modern medicine.

 
At Sat Jul 05, 11:59:00 PM, Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

I think the same guy commented on my blog today, too.

Actually, given the magic of cut and paste, he or she may not actually have written it all.

Glad to know it wasn't personal.

 
At Sun Jul 06, 07:14:00 AM, Blogger Evil Transport Lady said...

I didn't think trolls COULD type that much. They must be evolving;)

 
At Sun Jul 06, 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Devorrah said...

MDOD, Scalpel, Panda and I had this problem also with an obsessive schizophrenic commenter, but she disappeared. I hope she's not back, as she is indeed in a lot of pain.

 
At Sun Jul 06, 09:16:00 PM, Blogger Bardiac said...

You sure it's not a belated entry into that novel writing in a month contest thingy? I'm thinking a new take on the opening to *The Sound and the Fury* maybe?

 
At Mon Jul 07, 09:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mercy!

 
At Tue Jul 08, 12:05:00 AM, Blogger scalpel said...

Yeah, I got that comment too. I was going to make it a post of its own until I realized how really really long it was. Great example of schizophrenia.

 
At Tue Jul 08, 12:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would think their hands would start to hurt long before it got to that point.

 
At Fri Jan 15, 11:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this class of people whom you are dismissing as not worthy of serious attention have a genius that you will never reach, i hope your non-lives are full enough of opportunities to heckle those who try to find real meaning in the world, to provide a minimum of satisfaction in order to keep you from having to face yourselves in the mirror.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home