Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Fun with Flu Shots

It's that time of the year again: flu shot season. Thanks to the new and improved expanded official recommendation that all kids get flu shots, my joint has been jumping. In addition to regular office visits, the right-hand column of the appointment book is used for people coming in for just the flu shot. Add to that all the regular patients I am able to spring it on convince it's a good idea, and I'm stabbing away all the live-long day.

Giving out that many flu shots, an old dinosaur has to find a way to remain amused.

Saw a guy today with an elaborate tatoo on his target non-dominant shoulder, and I found myself with a delightful quandary. Where to poke my little needle?
  1. Right in the injun's crotch?
  2. His nose?
  3. Tip of the eagle's beak?
  4. In the center of the "o" in "Mom"?
I settled for the eagle's eye. That way when he gets his little local reaction of redness at the injection site, the bird will look like it's been in a bar fight.

Flu shots are fun. I need a life.

6 Comments:

At Fri Oct 31, 07:46:00 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

Oh, that was really funny.

 
At Fri Oct 31, 08:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhm. I got my flu shot from the local mom-and-pop pharmacy. That's OK, right?

(Dude tossed that needle in to my upper arm like he was aiming for the bullseye on a damn dartboard.)

 
At Fri Oct 31, 08:32:00 AM, Blogger OHN said...

Oh my God I wish you were my FMD, I bet your staff loves you! :)

 
At Fri Oct 31, 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Crucis said...

Tell me, really, if it's worth getting the shot. I've never gotten one and I just hit 60.

I work at home, a telecommuter, but I do get out at least once a day. Previously when I worked out of an office, the others would get a shot and still get the flu. When the flu started it's rounds, I worked from home.

Now I have gotten the flu---maybe three times in the last decade, but never the frequency that my flu-shot co-workers.

So tell my again, why I should get the shot?

 
At Fri Oct 31, 08:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I skipped my flu shot last year. I was then absolutely FLOORED by the flu the weekend before my first musculoskeletal exam of the semester. It took me about a month to recover, what with the secondary sinus infection. My grades never really recovered.

I'm getting one this year. No ifs ands or buts.

 
At Sat Nov 01, 07:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You target non-dominant arm? I was taught to aim for dominant arm-pt moves it around more, so they have less stiffness and soreness the next day. Is it just a preference thing, or is there a real reason to do one or the other (barring, of course, mastectomy hx or something like that)?

-lpnmon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home