Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Thursday, April 09, 2009

A New Definition of "Small"

(Boring background information: Lyme disease is carried by the deer tick. It's really small.)

Evaluating the possibility of Lyme disease over the phone:

"How big was the tick that bit you?"

"Small."

"How small?"

"Really small."

"Smaller than the group number on an Aetna ID card?"

"About that size."

"Ah. Please come right in for a blood test."

Moral of the story: Could they possibly print the group numbers on an Aetna ID card *any* smaller!?!

1 Comments:

At Fri Apr 10, 08:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My New England relatives, who consider themselves Lyme experts, tell me that it's pretty common to get the bulleted red rash and that's the thing to be on the lookout for.

I guess it can be hard to see if it's on your back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home