Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Over-Scheduled Children

Much has been made of children with so many scheduled activities that they spend their entire day running from one to the next, with no time left to do anything else. Playing; daydreaming; just being; all are vitally important for children to develop into complete people that this ubiquitous over-scheduling runs the risk of hindering our kids' lives rather than enhancing them.

I get a call from a patient who, last time I heard from her, was pregnant:
She: Hi, I'd like to schedule an appointment for a newborn checkup.

Me: Ooh! You had the baby. How was it? What did he weigh? (etc. ad cuteness) (because of course why would she be calling for a newborn appointment if she hadn't had the baby yet?)

She: Um, actually, the C-section is scheduled for next week. I just wanted to get the appointment made ahead of time.
Now that's what I call organized. She, on the other hand, had this comment:

"Talk about over-scheduling our children."

6 Comments:

At Mon Jul 27, 05:34:00 PM, Blogger ER's Mom said...

At least she is calling to schedule the appointment.

;)

And my word confirm is readi. how funny!

 
At Mon Jul 27, 06:37:00 PM, Blogger OHN said...

I ALWAYS made certain to schedule a time, usually between 6:45 and 7:10 for my kids to lie in the back yard and look at cloud formations, OR play on the swings. ;)

 
At Tue Jul 28, 12:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids are old enough that sonography to determine gender was uncommon and unreliable, and most OB's let babies show up when they were darn good and ready, all other things being equal.

Therefore, when we returned to the USA with a pair of toddlers in the mid-eighties, I was a bit taken aback the first time I met a pregnant "executive" who told me, cradling her pinstriped belly, that "This is Aaron Joseph. He weighs six pounds and is 20 inches tall. He will be born on April 24th at 1030 am, right after the annual Finance Committee Meeting at 8 o'clock.."

Often wondered how these Moms dealt with the randomness of motherhood?

Pattie, RN

 
At Tue Jul 28, 05:56:00 PM, Blogger Stella said...

How pathetic. And now people who "aren't ready" for children are getting dogs to practice on.
Doggy day care, play dates, dog parks. Such a whirl!

An Old Mom in MN

 
At Tue Jul 28, 06:34:00 PM, Blogger Midwife with a Knife said...

LOL... My puppy was born last night, won't come to my house for 8 weeks and I was wondering if I should make a doggy day care intake appt for her? (which she can't even start until she's 10 weeks!)

Oh, and Stella, I think my dog will be bored when I'm at work and there's at least 1 day each week where I can't come home to let her out because I'm at a satellite clinic an hour away.

 
At Wed Jul 29, 05:48:00 PM, Blogger Allie said...

I always wondered if scheduling births was even healthy. I figured when the baby was ready, it would wail its way out.
I would imagine she would be applying to pre-schools as soon as the child learns to hold a spoon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home