H1N1 Madness ( or: Crayzee is Relative)
I rarely link to Happy the Hospitalist any more because he's usually such a raving lunatic. However when Happy points out, albeit indirectly, that there are other people out there who actually make him look intelligent, that's saying something for the stark raving crayzee that's making the rounds.
Happy relates his recent experiences with H1N1 flu, and the near death of a previously stable asthmatic. He also links to a study from the Southern hemisphere about the results (not just the "risks", mind you) of H1N1 flu in pregnancy:
While pregnant women make up only 1 percent of the general population in Australia and New Zealand, 66 of the 722 ICU patients, or 9.1 percent, were pregnant women.Countering this, we have Bill Maher, recent winner of the Atheist Alliance International's Richard Dawkins award (see here for full fisking), claiming that pregnant women should not take the H1N1 immunization, and that anyone who gets a flu shot is an idiot.
Furthermore, the Philadelphia Inquirer several days ago published a letter from not one but two
Listen up already, people:
- H1N1 is just another flu virus.
- It will kill many people, especially those with asthma and other underlying medical conditions.
- The shot is not "untested" any more than introducing a new color of paint for a car and not repeating all the crash testing renders it "untested".
- The virus doesn't care whether or not you "believe" in it.
- People trying to spread doubt and fear about the vaccines are not your friends (even if they're your friends).