Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Twenty Years

Happy Anniversary to me! Twenty years ago today, I hung out my solo shingle.

Last year, I forgot to post anything about it. Two years ago, I wrote about it here. Much has happened in the last two years, yet much has remained the same. Happily, my family is still all well and happy. Sadly, my income hasn't budged.

Twenty years ago, I saw three patients that first day. Today I begin the day with 16 patient visits scheduled, plus 27 others for flu shots.

I'm still blogging. I'm not checking the site meter nearly as compulsively as I once did; this is a good thing. I now have a laptop on my desk at work, though, so I check Facebook several times a day; this is probably not such a good thing.

I'm still writing; and now I'm published. I even have an agent, so I know that as I continue writing, there's at least one person who doesn't think my stuff sucks. This is an extraordinarily exciting time in my life, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this writing thing develops as an ancillary career.

But now as then, what I look forward to most is the people. They're usually called patients, but what they really are is people who have done me the tremendous honor of allowing me into their lives at their most vulnerable; the best and worst moments of their lives; the beginnings, the endings, and everything in between. When I think of twenty years in practice, I don't think about the three locations, the comings and goings of assorted staffers, or even the hospital staff and committee meetings. I remember the patients; my patients; my friends. Now as then, they are the reason I do what I do, and why I love what I do. Now as then, I thank you all.

Me and the Rolling Peke,
both with fresh haircuts

17 Comments:

At Thu Oct 01, 08:33:00 AM, Anonymous NinjaBaker said...

Happy Anniversary Doctor Mom!! I feel like when you started I was nothing but a five-month old in a stroller. Now I'm a twenty-year-five-month old; no more mature, but I've had a lot to enjoy throughout life. I like your patients too, and I hope they're all doing well. Tell your staffers I said hi.

 
At Thu Oct 01, 09:59:00 AM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

You rock, Dino.

Happy 20th anniversary of dispensing medical care and wisdom!

 
At Thu Oct 01, 11:03:00 AM, Blogger WarmSocks said...

Congrats

 
At Thu Oct 01, 11:31:00 AM, Blogger ShrinkingDoc said...

Congratulations! Thanks for fighting the fight! I'm glad there are still a few tough, adventurous folks out there willing to do it!

 
At Thu Oct 01, 11:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary, Dino. Given your attitude toward your patients, I have no doubt that you are well-loved.

 
At Thu Oct 01, 02:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats from a fellow FP! Just bought your book - was on the shelf (no special order!) at the Madison WI Barnes and Noble. :-)

 
At Thu Oct 01, 04:31:00 PM, Blogger drcharles said...

congratulations!
You certainly derive inspiration and strength from your calling, and it is abundantly clear that you're striving to make the world a better place.
Doc On!

 
At Thu Oct 01, 07:35:00 PM, Blogger Stella said...

Congrats on your anniversary, Doctor! I congratulate myself because I have found a Doc who is like you were and are. She is wonderful and she LISTENS!

Cheers,
Stella's Mom

 
At Fri Oct 02, 01:50:00 AM, Blogger Vijay said...

Happy Anniversary (Workiversary?? - sounds wrong, doesn't it?)

 
At Fri Oct 02, 04:37:00 AM, Blogger Dk's Wife said...

Happy Anniversary. While I do not comment much, I read your blog quite often :)

 
At Fri Oct 02, 07:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!

(Hmm, so you now have a laptop at your office. That explains a lot.)

Love,

Kensington MD

 
At Fri Oct 02, 08:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the first 20 years and may you have many more, doing what you love to do.
The COG

 
At Fri Oct 02, 03:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DS here, sorry not getting here earlier but them I'm across the pond and still trying to figure what time I should go to sleep. At least we had a chance to speak with one another.

Congratulation, 20 years of anything is a special accomplishment and something to celebrate, I only wish I could participate. Guess we'll have to wait for 25 or 30!!

Speak with you soon!!

 
At Fri Oct 02, 08:04:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Your hatchling, Chris.

 
At Fri Oct 02, 11:03:00 PM, Blogger Bosszilla said...

Congrats on the big 2-0!

 
At Sat Oct 03, 09:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't ever have the webcam on that lap top turned on during office visits, right?

Happy anniversary!

 
At Mon Oct 12, 08:58:00 AM, Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Congrats, Dino!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home