Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Thank You, Westboro Baptist Church

For those of you stuck off in an underground bunker with the great good fortune never to have heard of them, the Westboro Baptist "Church" (no link) is a family-run cult that specializes in disrupting military funerals and staging protests at schools, churches, and municipal institutions that dare to show any kind of tolerance and acceptance of anything their two neurons can conceive as having anything to do with homosexuality. One of the deeper ironies of the universe is that their founder is a lawyer who began his career with great success in civil rights litigation. He has since been disbarred and has begun a new phase of his life as founder and leader of the Westboro Baptist cult "Church".

I know what you're thinking: why on earth would I be expressing thanks to one of the most disgustingly vile hate groups masquerading as "Christians" in this country today? Here's why: yesterday, they held an early morning protest outside my niece's high school.

Still don't get it?

The community's response of peacefully gathering and ignoring the protesters, while providing a buffer between the hate-filled rhetoric and the students, was a source of deep pride to my niece and her family. I called her last night, and she told me that the incident sparked a great deal of discussion in school, both in formal classroom settings and among friends. All told, it sounded like the incident generated a fair amount of positivity (including this).

Although the world would certainly be a better place without all the hate spewed by WBC and its ilk, if it has to exist -- and if it absolutely has to invade the loving and tolerant world my family is trying to provide for our children -- the very least it can do is generate the warmth and community spirit as was found in New England yesterday.

I love you all, RFS et al.

5 Comments:

At Tue Jan 05, 07:20:00 PM, Blogger Ninja Pharmer said...

I had the honor of helping arrange and then participating in a similar human barrier at a local military funeral last summer. I remember well how it felt to be a part of something like that, where people from all walks of life come together to stand and defy literal evil and nastiness. It was wonderful, and I would do it again in a heatbeat.

Fred Phelps is a waste of human flesh and it pisses me off that he breathes the same air as me.

 
At Tue Jan 05, 08:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For pity's sake! These people give Christians a bad name.

 
At Wed Jan 06, 11:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when high schools were institutions for learning. How sad they became Ground Zero for this hate group.

 
At Wed Jan 06, 12:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe most Kansans are embarrassed by Phelps and his group. They are one reason why some people think we Christians are hypocrites and want nothing to do with Christianity.

 
At Wed Jan 13, 02:31:00 PM, Anonymous tom said...

so... why is it that people who are intolerant of other perspectives/values/ideas etc, DEMAND that people be tolerant of their perspectives/values /ideas etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home