Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

RIP Marvel Battle Van


Also known as a 1999 Plymouth Voyager, with over 100,000 miles (not bad for a Chrysler product with the original engine and transmission), the Marvel Battle Van owes us nothing. For seven years it served me well; the remaining four years of its driveway tenure were in service to the Jock, who found it "convenient" (large and red enough to find in any parking lot; plenty of room for a team and its gear). It had begun sucking down money over the last few years, accelerating at a greater rate than it ever did on the highway -- which is saying something. For anyone who hasn't ridden a Voyager on the highway, that puppy can move!

The quest for new wheels is on, as the Jock and I bid a fond farewell to the last automotive vestiges of adolescence. To the Marvel Battle Van, we say Adieu; safe journeys to that great parking lot in the sky (or wherever Purple Heart takes it).

11 Comments:

At Tue Jan 19, 09:41:00 AM, Blogger ChrisJ said...

Until this past summer we also had a Plymouth Voyager. You were lucky and got a good one but ours was cursed and thus named VOTA - Van Of The Apocalypse. It looked all innocent - blandly white - but with it, we've hit more animals than imaginable including two deer on our first day of ownership. It had weird electrical problems - for example when I signed for a turn, the wipers might turn on or maybe the cruise control would start blinking. And finally it was a major money-suck. The Marvel Battle Van may RIP but VOTA can rot in H-E-double toothpicks.

 
At Tue Jan 19, 11:54:00 AM, Anonymous Hashmd said...

I've had an '85 Dodge, '94 Chrysler, '96 Chrysler, and now a '06 Chrysler. Only the '94 had premature transmission failure replaced under warranty and the "06 had the rack and pinion go out. If you take care of them, they do fine.

 
At Tue Jan 19, 03:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drove a 1995 toyota camry till190K plus then passed it on and she's going strong.I have a 2002 mini cooper gently used fab price, great gas mileage,with 4 snow tires she flies thru winter! I ADORE this car!!! buy one you will love it

 
At Tue Jan 19, 06:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is really off topic, but..

I SAW YOUR BOOK IN BORDERS TODAY!!!!!!!

it made me smile :)

 
At Tue Jan 19, 09:13:00 PM, Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

BORDERS!?! Really?!? They refused to carry it when it first came out. I had to make sure to send everyone to B&N. Now it's in both?!? Who-hoo!! Thanks for letting me know.

 
At Tue Jan 19, 09:20:00 PM, Anonymous NinjaBaker said...

My heart goes out to this fine vehicle and all the wonderful gifts it has given us. As the first car I've ever driven, MBV will always hold a special place in my heart.

PS, don't you think that when cars pass on, they go to highways?

 
At Tue Jan 19, 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

NinjaBaker - nah, they're waiting for you on top of the Rainbow Bridge.

 
At Wed Jan 20, 06:01:00 AM, Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

ChrisJ: You'd better keep the VOTA away from the Rainbow Bridge. Those poor animals have been through enough already. Then again, they're already dead, so I suppose you can't hurt them anymore.

 
At Wed Jan 20, 11:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My girlfriend had a Voyager that could really move. You had to watch the speedometer so you did not go too fast.

I have a 1992 Toyota Corolla that I bought brand new with 6 miles on it. It's still going strong at275,000 miles and 18 years old.

Sorry for the anon - I can't get it to take my Google password.

Sandra

 
At Thu Jan 21, 08:38:00 PM, Blogger MMANoteBook said...

There is something magical about the 100,000 mile marker. I am proud to say I just hit it myself with my 02 Acura. An interesting side note I shut my garage door on my bumper yesterday and took off a little bit of paint. So a word to the wise…don’t shut your garage door on your car. :-)

 
At Sun Jan 24, 09:27:00 PM, Blogger The Invisible Woman said...

I remember it well....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home