Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Saturday, January 09, 2010

What You Can Do with Your Pink Ribbon

For those who may not be aware of the goings-on at that massive time waster known as Facebook, there was a bit of a tizzy over there the other day. Simply put, women were encouraged to post the color of their bra in order to "raise awareness of breast cancer."

Note to those whose opinion of me is inversely proportional to the amount of time I waste spend on Facebook and other internet frivolities: I did not find out about this online. Rather, the patient I was seeing apologized for the fact that her phone kept buzzing. Apparently, she had it set to alert her when anyone updated their Facebook status, so it buzzed constantly as all her friends played along.

By today, there was commentary galore, both pro and con, throughout the blogosphere. For the record, here was my response:
Lucy doesn't care what color your bra is. If it contains two healthy breasts, consider yourself blessed.
As DenverDaughter puts it, all the pink ribbons in the world won't bring her mother (or mine; or anyone else's) back again.

(Apologies to my Facebook friends for the redundancy.)

10 Comments:

At Sat Jan 09, 09:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this. Way to turn a meme into something good!

 
At Sat Jan 09, 10:44:00 PM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

I'm of a similar mind.

I don't care what color my hands are, as long as they contain two healthy breasts, I consider myself blessed.


Yes, I'm a pig. ;)

 
At Sun Jan 10, 08:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about testiclar cancer?

A similar meme for men?

"Anteater or mushroom?" (Think about it.)

"Turtleneck or crewneck?" (Same joke, slightly less offensive comparison.)

Inches?

 
At Sun Jan 10, 09:13:00 AM, Blogger Cheryll said...

My husband, when asked, refused to provide me with his 'cup' size...and probably won't post it on FB. Besides, if men wore bras, the smallest size would be labeled Gigantic, LOL.

 
At Sun Jan 10, 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Dragonfly said...

I declined. I figured that two aunts, (one who died 6 months after her second child was born) should keep me aware enough. 1/11 women here in Australia.

 
At Sun Jan 10, 02:05:00 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

Ambulance driver made me snort coffee all over my keyboard. He owes me a new one.

 
At Sun Jan 10, 11:42:00 PM, Blogger StorytellERdoc said...

Just more reasons why I don't facebook, tweet, or text...but whatever makes people happy...

Thanks for the interesting post.

 
At Mon Jan 18, 11:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pink ribbon campaign has in essence co-opted the entire color pink. Now everything pink has something to do with breast cancer. I just think that's going too far.

 
At Tue Feb 16, 02:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a BC survivor I don't need any reminder and by the time it got to me it was just a joke on the boys to figure out what we were answering.

I agree the color pink has been highjacked buit there is a color for every type of cancer and it gets very confusing. I said from the begining of my treatments it shouldn't be a ribbon but a pair of boxing gloves anyway to show that I will battle and fight to stay alive.

Sad conclusion is that when it all was passed around I was in radiation treatments and wasn't wearing one, just a plain old white tank top so that the burns didn't get iritated. Me and my scarred boobie are doing fine and had to laugh at my GFs as they tried to impress eachother.

Relax and enjoy a joke
MC

 
At Mon Feb 22, 03:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew there was a solid reason behind why I liked you...now, I know.

I was all for a "cervical cancer" awareness bit during that whole craze. Something along the lines of "Post your underwear color as your status if you've had your *insert recommended timeframe* PAP smear!" 'Cause that actually does something when it comes to detecting/preventing cancer, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home