Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

When They're Right, They're Right

Shamelessly stolen from 101 Reasons to Quit Writing because when you're right, you're, well...right:

TOP TEN REASONS WHY YOUR NaNoWriMo NOVEL SUCKS:
  1. You hadn’t even thought about writing fiction until October 30.
  2. You finish each writing session by typing "I’m going to bed now, see you later."
  3. You read over yesterday’s output and discover you’ve typed, verbatim, an argument with your spouse about how the time spent writing is impacting your personal hygiene.
  4. You left the datestamps in when you cut and pasted all your blog entries.
  5. You left the datestamps in when you cut and pasted the entire NaNo forum thread about padding.
  6. It’s a powerful, moving story exploring the inner turmoil of a copyrighted character.
  7. It’s a powerful, moving story exploring the inner turmoil of two or more copyrighted characters who secretly love each other very much, and often.
  8. You’ve only managed an average of 500 words per day so far, and 100 of them are about how hard it is to write 1,667 words a day.
  9. Every 1,667th word is "CHAPTER".
  10. The 49,999th and 50,000th words are "THE END", even though the 49,998th word is "and".

8 Comments:

At Sun Nov 18, 01:43:00 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

wHAT IS NANOWRIMO?

 
At Sun Nov 18, 02:17:00 PM, Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

Elaine: Link added.

 
At Sun Nov 18, 04:39:00 PM, Blogger tk said...

Well, I didn't commit those particular sins, but it still sucks. Call it poor planning and not knowing what the hell I'm doing. Bah.

The word verification is "mwowf" . . . sounds like something a dog that just ate a cat would say. Or a cat that just ate a dog--take your pick.

 
At Sun Nov 18, 04:53:00 PM, Blogger Cheryll said...

Hang in there, Dino. You can do it! Besides, NaNoWriMo isn't so much about writing a salable piece as is it about getting out the thousands of words of garbage that must be flushed BEFORE you write the Great American Novel, LOL.

And I can talk, seeing as I have not one but two completed works, each so bad it qualifies as toxic waste -- which means, of course, that they must live under my bed for ever because it's illegal to throw them in the municipal trash.......

My non-fic is better, but then, I've been doing it far longer. Guess the pipes are clearer...

You have the skills, we can all see from reading your blog! Now, do you have a story we want to read?
We won't know that until you can get the story out.

Go, Dino, Go Dino, Go Dino!

 
At Sun Nov 18, 06:41:00 PM, Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

Don't worry; I'm doing fine with NaNo. I just thought this was really funny, and I'm too busy writing to find anything else to post. But thanks for the props.

 
At Sun Nov 18, 07:13:00 PM, Blogger Lynn Price said...

Dino, as we writers will attest, every word in our stories is written with blood. I expect nothing less than hemorrhaged brilliance outta you!

 
At Mon Nov 19, 04:42:00 PM, Blogger DCS said...

Thanks for inspiring me to participate in NaNoWriMo. I read about it in your blog last year and now I'm 39,000 or so words into it. maybe it sucks, but I'm having a blast.

 
At Mon Nov 19, 05:50:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've got #9 well covered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home