Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Geek Heaven

It brings a tear to my eye (and a rumble to my stomach) to share this:



Original recipe here (with the nifty title, "Periodic Table of the Aliments")

In the words of the NinjaBaker (and his faithful companion, the NinjaCutie):

According to the Ninja code of scientific baking, we must detail all changes to the procedure:
  1. We only chilled the dough 1-2 hours while we made lunch because we only had so much time.
  2. We used a smaller cookie size, so we only doubled the basic sugar cookie recipe.
  3. All the frostings (except the chocolate non-metal one) were home/dorm-made from powdered sugar, milk, and food coloring (at a ratio of 1 cup : 1.5Tbsp : 6 drops : however much we felt like changing it so it would look right)
  4. We reduced the rare earth metals (the 2 row insert) to 2 long cookies because we underestimated the amount needed.
Entire cooking time: ~6 hours.

12 Comments:

At Tue May 05, 07:51:00 AM, Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Nice!

I wouldn't eat the Pb cookie, though. It'll sit like lead in your stomach.

:)

 
At Tue May 05, 08:19:00 AM, Anonymous James Wilk, M.D. said...

The As cookie probably isn't such a good idea, either.

 
At Tue May 05, 08:56:00 AM, Blogger Bookhorde said...

That is so cool.

 
At Tue May 05, 10:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Only had so much time"
This looks like you two have too MUCH time on your hands! mmm...tasty time....

~DD

 
At Tue May 05, 01:06:00 PM, Blogger jmb said...

I'm glad to see the Period Table is still important to some. Do they even still teach it?

I love it.

 
At Tue May 05, 04:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks the Periodic Table of Elements is cool. I think I was the only teenaged girl alive who had a poster size version of it on my wall instead of a poster of Kirk Cameron. Still get teased about that to this day. I also love to bake. I'm going to definitely give this a try.

Jomarie

 
At Wed May 06, 10:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course to me the most interesting part of this post were the words "and his faithful companion, the NinjaCutie"

Can't wait to hear the specs!

Love,

Kensington MD

 
At Wed May 06, 01:01:00 PM, Blogger nurse 8 said...

geeks of the world, unite! :)

 
At Thu May 07, 01:52:00 AM, Blogger Midwife with a Knife said...

That's totally geektastic! :)

 
At Fri May 08, 09:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made my night! As a chemist first and a pharmacist-to-be second, I still have multiple copies of the periodic table running around, including the app on my itouch! Hats off to the NinjaBaker and his NinjaCutie - I'm glad somebody in this world still appreciates science!

 
At Wed Jun 17, 01:00:00 PM, Blogger XE said...

LOVE IT.

 
At Wed Jun 17, 02:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my daughter was studying for her BS in chemistry, she had placemats with the periodic table. Proudly geeky!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home