Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

HPH (Harry Potter Hiatus)

I haven't posted in a couple of days because I was unable to resist the lure of that big, thick book with the orange-black cover and embossed red letters. Although it arrived on Saturday the 21st (no, this time I didn't stay up until midnight at the bookstore; no kids at home to go with me) I was holding off; waiting -- I told myself -- until after re-reading number six, only to discover that I couldn't find my copy of it anywhere in the house (horrors!)

So I bit the bullet and dived in. Luckily there was plenty of re-orienting to get me back into the story quickly (and boy does the story start quickly!) Unfortunately, my request to the Ministry of Magic to extend the day from 24 to 28 hours must have gotten lost in the mail, so as I read, something else had to go. Sleeping? Half an hour here and there. Working? Tell it to the sick people. Eating? Are you MAD! Personal hygiene? Don't think I didn't consider it. In the end, however, it was blogging that took a back seat.

But now, it is done.

How was it? Well...

I was right about the main thing, but not really. I totally expected that, but thought it would happen differently. I was pretty sure about that, but it wasn't who I thought it was going to be. I knew that would happen, but I thought it would be because of that and not that. I figured out that's where it was, but I was completely surprised at how he got it. I was pretty sure that guy wasn't going to turn out as bad as he'd been portrayed earlier, but I thought it was pretty cool how it finally fit together. And how about that ending!

Sorry for the spoilers.

PS And I thought the Epilogue was silly.

8 Comments:

At Tue Jul 31, 05:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering what the heck happened to you . . . sheesh!

 
At Tue Jul 31, 05:37:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Rob said...

I was up to 3 AM so my wife could read it. Your summary of your feelings fits mine pretty much right on, although I did wonder if it would be different when that happened.

Good to have you back.

Rob

 
At Tue Jul 31, 10:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt it wrapped up in a nice neat package at the end. And some parts were sooooo good and inventive. Only a couple of pieces felt phoned in. I was so proud of that person, and crushed by what happened to those two, and figured, like you did, that that one wasn't so bad after all.

How nice it is to talk openly with someone about it.

 
At Wed Aug 01, 03:58:00 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

Surely everyone has read it by now, but good of you to be so circumspect. By the way the sorting hat places me in Ravenclaw! (with thanks to mousie at http://mousethinks.blogspot.com/)

 
At Wed Aug 01, 08:27:00 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I loved it, but it felt too heavily edited for length. They easily could have let her go another 200 pages and flesh stuff out, add a little more of the slower, humorous scenes, etc. But I was SO HAPPY it wasn't a big disappointment after all!

Off to read it again!

 
At Wed Aug 01, 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Bookhorde said...

I liked the epilogue. And I always knew that person was a secret agent. *smug*

What an awesome series, eh?

 
At Wed Aug 01, 02:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody knew that person would not be that bad but as a fan of him I would've expected him to be in it for much more interesting reasons than THAT. It's so not HIM. And I felt cheated that we didn't get the full story of the event that happened between that man and the other man when they were both in school.

 
At Sun Aug 05, 02:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny but I was reading this blog last week, saw Harry Potter in the title and decided not to read it for the fear of spoilers. Needn't have worried.

I've been ordering my copies in the UK because I find the whole idea of "translation" from British pretty annoying, and I cringe every time "Sorcerer's stone" is mentioned. So, I got mine late. In the meantime I was "running away" from every website that had Harry Potter mentioned.

Loved it and am kind of upset there'll be no more HP books.

Everyone thought that that person wouldn't be as bad, but I saw in some groups some guesses of THAT some years ago. I also saw a pretty correct guess as to this thing about the scar on a Russian website discussing previous book. At the time I thought this guess was a bit improbable. Little did I know. They didn't get the ending right, though.

Who dies who survives - totally not what I guessed. Would've liked to know a bit more about everybody.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home