How to Really Piss Me Off
Do all of the following:
- Be an ER doc.
- See a patient of mine seven times in the last two months for "migraines" that continue allegedly unabated despite prescriptions for multiple triptans, compazine, Topamax and Verapamil, among other meds, and who has specifically been told to call me instead of going to the ER.
- Give him IM dilaudid and a script for Percocet, despite the fact that I've been ratcheting them down -- even though he swears they're the only things that help his chronic back pain -- because he keeps losing them and his alcoholic wife often "borrows" some, and that he can't afford NSAIDs or physical therapy.
- Assume I'm an idiot who doesn't know any better while noting that he hasn't had an MRI of his brain, or a pain management or headache clinic referral.
- Under no circumstances deign to notice that he has no insurance. Ignore the fact that his employer offers it but he has decided that it would take too much out of his paycheck.
- Call me up to discuss the case.
- At 4:30 am.