Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Understanding Patients

Time: 4:30 yesterday afternoon

Everyone else has left (regular office hours are 7:30 to 3:00) and all their computers have been powered down. On my lap, a tiny dog is snoozing as I catch up on my blogging.

The phone rings.

"Hello, I have a question about a bill I received."

"Okay. Here's the thing: everyone else has left and all their computers have been powered down. I'm sitting here with a dog sleeping in my lap. If you want me to, I can put the dog down, go turn on the computer, and find the answer to your question. Or you can call back tomorrow morning."

You can tell this patient is a true dog lover:

"I understand completely. I'll call back tomorrow."

I *heart* my patients.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home